Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The eyes of a true friend...

Interesting how we find companionship in our dogs. Lately I've been giving it a little more thought, but in a Spiritual vein. Stay with me a moment... I've been contemplating the scripture of 2nd Chronicles 7:14, "If My people, who are called by My name shall humble themselves and pray, and seek my face..." Welp, there you have it! Seeking His face instead of His hand will always bring greater rewards. The thing I'm pondering is just what does Jesus really look like? Greater minds than I'll ever meet have debated this down through the centuries and yet no one really has a definitive answer.

Back to the original idea of companionship with dogs, I look into the eyes of our Border Collie, Ranger Walker, (don't go there about the name), and I always see a facial expression of #1. Trust and #2. Expectation. Those deep milk chocolate colored eyes cause me to ask, "is this what Jesus would look like?" I don't mean like a dog, and I'm not denigrating my Saviour to that of an animal, but really, stop and think with me for just a moment. The facial expressions of the one's who love us unconditionally and always must be something similar to that of Jesus. I mean, who else gives us such trust and unconditional love on an unending basis? The spirit of love, beyond measure, is found in Jesus. When I'm the most unlovable, Jesus is is always the first in line with outstretched arms welcoming me back, with a smile and and expression of expectation. Ranger is pretty much the same way. They've both seen me when I pretended to be something I really wasn't yet they both loved me unconditionally. Quite a concept.

Next time you look at your dog, look a little "deeper" and see if you don't notice the same thing. You might be surprised at what you can learn from "seeking a face."

Selah

1 comment:

Jen said...

Very interesting perspective. Animals are so very trusting, especially dogs. Perhaps we should be more like "dogs" in trusting and following our Master.

~Jennifer